Nov 6, 2014

Day 5.

Day 5 in hospital, and Day 1 of actual treatment.

This morning I woke at about 7:00am, which is the latest I’ve slept since arriving.

It’s also a little frustrating as the sun as what there is of it doesn’t rise until 9:30am.

There was a little dusting of snow on the ground but it soon melted when a little sunshine came through.

I signed my consent form.

Consent Form.

Dad arrived early to take care of *business* and say farewell.

He’s now on a flight back to Brisbane and will arrive in the wee hours of Sunday morning in time for Mum’s birthday.

Dad hugged me tight and I, as is becoming habit got a bit teary.

I’m so fortunate that he was able to travel over with me. He’s done an amazing job taking care of business and me and bringing supplies of daily treats. He’s navigated the trolley system to get to and from the hotel, none of which is in english and this morning did it all in -11c temperatures.

He phoned me pre-boarding his flight and he’ll arrive home on earl Sunday morning for Mum’s birthday.  

Anastasia stopped in and I gave her my official consent form, then Dr. Federenko came in and laid out the plan for the day.

“11:00am nurse will come to administer steroid infusion”. This will help protect my gutz.

Like clockwork she came in, inserted the line into my arm and started the drip.
20 minutes and all done, there’s no stuffing around.

I have to keep the line in my arm and avoid getting it wet for 4 days.

I’m happy that I had a 2nd shower and washed my hair because it could get tricky. And vanity.

Steroids in the sunshine.

An hour or so after, I developed a headache and tried to ride it out for a bit.

I decided not to be a hero about it and advised the nursing staff, as it was about a 5/10.

To communicate the issue, I simply pointed to a English/Russian guide that each patient is given and the nurse took my blood pressure and a doctor was called.

The doctor arrived in my room within 5 minutes and took my blood pressure again. It was fine and he thought I should ride it out a bit longer. Righteo.

5 minutes later, Dr. Federenko comes in and says “No, I want you to be comfortable. I will send nurse with medication and she will insert medication into your line.” And so it was.

Headache soon reduced to a 1/10. Still weary and not sure if it was from the steroids or emotional fatigue but it was more manageable and I rested most of the day.

Lunch, the main meal of the day came at 2:00pm and it was the best yet.

Identifiable chicken, rice, bread, biscuits and noodle soup.

Anastasia popped in with some tablets to start taking before evening meal and breakfast. Both are to be taken 30 minutes prior to the nominated meal for the next 4 days. I’ve scheduled an alarm as a reminder.  

This afternoon passed quickly with napping and visiting with a few other patients and carers.

Joe from Sydney has completed treatment and he and his companion depart in the wee hours of tomorrow morning. He’s been a star and has the most amazing attitude.

Steven from Melbourne and Jenni from the Sunshine Coast were also accepted for treatment today.
I’m thrilled for them.

My room mate (TCR – Technologically Challenged Roommate) now has email. I set it up this evening. I’ll have her on social media before she knows it.  

Tonight the stimulation injections start at ll:00pm and 3:00am.

I’m not certain why, but I believe it’s the perfect time for the greatest effect as the body is resting. I’ve heard that the nurses like to come in stealth to jab you, so I’ve set an alarm for that too. Previous patients have told me that they actually wake you with a gentle pat and it’s over with in a second. I’ll probably still be awake for the first one, but we’ll see.

Some bone pain is expected in the coming days, but nothing more than period pain they say.

As demonstrated today, I’m also good at asking for pain meds so I’m not too worried.

Drugs were invented for a reason.

Not a bad day, not a good day (only due to the headache).

Just a day.


Update: Nurses were 10 mins early with the evening injection. Aced it.

Recent Posts

The Results Are In

+256 My appointment with my neurologist started as usual; 35 minutes late. I’ve always had an easy relationship with my Neuro and today was no different. I was greeted warmly, exchanged niceties and went through the usual tests (reflexes, strength, tandem walking and...

Fatigue? What Fatigue?

Day +145 I’ve generally been a pretty social person and happy to mix and mingle, that was until MS turned up in my life. I had to pick and choose and prioritise. Fatigue would get the better of me and I’d need a nap at least a few times a week and I’d always be the...

120 Days

It’s been 120 days since my stem cell transplant. Woot!! Recovery for me has been what I think is pretty smooth. Becoming a neurotic germaphobe with OCD has served me well with no cold, flu or infection. It’s been a slow and steady process, one day on (appointments...

Everything happens, then you make the reasons

I had an appointment this morning, nothing new with that but it’d been a while since I’d been to this particular clinic. Making light conversation with the Receptionist and discussing what I’d been through she said the old adage, “Well everything happens for a...