Testing, Testing…1…2…3…

Nov 26, 2014

Day 2

Testing… Testing… 1… 2… 3…

Woke up early this morning at about 4:30.

Kinda got my times wrong.


Anyhoo, took the time to get some *samples* ready and managed to get back to sleep.

Then it was time for swabs at about 6:30am, no big deal and quick and painless, but I can think of better ways to start the day.

Swabs were taken from mouth, nose and where the *sun don’t shine*.

Checking for bacteria they say.

Blood work next, and whaddya know, I have no blood.

The nurse was great and professional and got my vein first go, but nothing.

“Very unusual.” she says “Never seen before.” she says.

“Your veins are still sleeping.” she says.

So she goes for round 2 in my wrist.

“Those veins are awake” she says.

Nailed it.

The rest of the morning I was taken through the tunnels of the hospital for a barrage of tests, nothing uncomfortable and all the staff are so professional and lovely.

I’ve noticed that there’s no male nurses or technicians, no problem – just an observation.

Most of the technicians know a few words of english. “Sit”, “Slow”, “Relax” and “Examination”, but a smile a nod and a kind gesture are all that’s needed from them and patients.

  • Chest X Ray
  • Lung Function
  • External Ultrasound
  • Internal Ultrasound
  • Vein Scan (for DVT)
  • 3 x MRI (Brain + Spine + Contrast)

I expect blood work results tomorrow from Dr. Fedorenko; he stopped by for a few minutes this morning and again this afternoon. He has a full patient load, yet is constantly around which is reassuring.

Final results will be given in the coming days and then everything is crossed for the green light to move forward with the transplant phase.

This afternoon was spent mostly with Dad and visiting with the new Aussie patients, Jenni, Steven and family members.

Dad also brought with him, chocolate, orange juice, DC and croissants for me. Hurrah!!

He may have also brought in a flask of scotch whisky and a bottle of soda to warm himself up after the journey in.

Don’t tell him I mentioned that.  

Lou, Abbas, Dad and Kate. All rugged up and ready to return to their hotels.

A good day.


*All translations provided by Anastasia.

Recent Posts

The Results Are In

+256 My appointment with my neurologist started as usual; 35 minutes late. I’ve always had an easy relationship with my Neuro and today was no different. I was greeted warmly, exchanged niceties and went through the usual tests (reflexes, strength, tandem walking and...

Fatigue? What Fatigue?

Day +145 I’ve generally been a pretty social person and happy to mix and mingle, that was until MS turned up in my life. I had to pick and choose and prioritise. Fatigue would get the better of me and I’d need a nap at least a few times a week and I’d always be the...

120 Days

It’s been 120 days since my stem cell transplant. Woot!! Recovery for me has been what I think is pretty smooth. Becoming a neurotic germaphobe with OCD has served me well with no cold, flu or infection. It’s been a slow and steady process, one day on (appointments...

Everything happens, then you make the reasons

I had an appointment this morning, nothing new with that but it’d been a while since I’d been to this particular clinic. Making light conversation with the Receptionist and discussing what I’d been through she said the old adage, “Well everything happens for a...